Sunday, January 20, 2013

Looking for 2013 Interns!


Requirements: 
Must live in Melbourne 
Able to travel to Blackburn 
Available on either a Wednesday or a Friday from 9am to 5pm
Have some knowledge of sewing, preferably someone who is studying fashion
Be familiar with Hopeless Lingerie
Enthusiastic, energetic and positive personality
Willingness to learn 
Reliable, punctual, and hard-working

Responsibilities will include: 
Fabric cutting
Overlocking
Sewing with both domestic and industrial machines
Packaging and posting
Pattern-making
Pattern-grading
Assisting on photoshoots

Most of the responsibilities will be on the job training, so as long as you are willing and have an interest in fashion and specifically lingerie, don't be scared to apply if you don't have a lot of sewing experience. (Other than fashion school). Please note this is an unpaid position, what you will gain is hands on experience in an industry that is very hard to tap into, and an insight into a rapidly growing start-up business. The position is best suited for someone who would like to start their own business in the future, and the position will be held for one year. 

So if you would like to apply please send an email letting me know why you would like to intern with me along with a resume, and some images of things you have made/painted/drawn/sewn/photographed to gaby@hopelesslingerie.com.au

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful, you are actually breaking the law. There are certain requirements to be met for internships and your requirements don't fit them. Just a heads up.

Gaby - Hopeless Lingerie said...

Hi Anon,

Why the need to hide your identity? Please feel welcome to email me about this or speak further if you are concerned

Anonymous said...

I chose anon because it was a quick and easy option that you provide for leaving comments. I am just alerting you to the fact that your criteria for an unpaid intern are outside the law and can lead to a fine of up to $33,000 per breach. It is up to you as a business operator to know the laws that apply and decide if you will follow them or not. I have seen you talk about being ethical in the past and thought that you should be aware tha yyou may be crossing the line. How you want to proceed with this is entirely up to you and I do wish you well otherwise I would never have raised this with you in the first place as I don't wish to see people penalised unecessarily.

Gaby - Hopeless Lingerie said...

I am familiar with the guidelines and laws provided by the Australian Government and the Fair Work Ombudsman.

In my time as a small business owner I have accrued a huge amount of knowledge through research, trial and error, and my own educational pursuits. I have also had a number of work placement students, who I have shared my experience and knowledge with.

I balance the days that my interns come between practical grading and pattern making lessons, and teaching various sewing techniques. The best way to become good at something is through repetition, and that is the way I have excelled at sewing, pattern making and grading.

While I do appreciate your concern, I am aware of the circumstances, and at the end of the day if someone is willing to come to me to learn and help with my business at the same time that is their own decision.

I would never and will never force anyone to do something they did not want to do, and I strongly believe in small business and helping other people achieve their goals.