Monday, January 14, 2013

Life is too short to do what you hate



Last week I posted a picture on Instagram of my movie choices for the day, as I usually have films playing while I sew. One of my followers commented 'I am so jealous of your lifestyle!' and I just had to stop and think about it for a while. The truth of it is, I wouldn't have it any other way - Life is too short to do what you hate.

If you are reading this, you are likely as privileged as I am. I don't have an extremely wealthy family, I am not extraordinarily intelligent or 'gifted' in any way. But what I have been willing to do is throw myself completely into this business, and work really really hard to create something worthwhile. I am not afraid of taking risks or making mistakes, because that is the only way to grow and learn.

The other weekend I was at the pub with some friends (also chasing their own dreams) and we had a discussion about risk-taking and financial matters, and how you might do things differently if you had a financial safety net. How might that affect your creative pursuits? For me, I honestly think very little would change. And this is a lesson I learned the difficult way last year, when I stopped following my creative instinct and started thinking about the question 'will it sell' - my sales suffered significantly. But I managed to get through it with renewed energy and a much more positive outlook than ever before. This was because I knew there was no way I could spend my days at a 9-5 job, without the creative freedom I currently have, and without this brand that I love so much. And that was what made me really fight to keep it. 

I don't believe in wasting your time at a menial or stressful job you do not enjoy, to live for the weekends, new shoes, and other consumables that in the grand scheme of things will not make you happy. There is little stopping you from reaching for your dreams, taking a risk, and ultimately being okay if it all fails. I am sure when challenged with this idea many of you could talk about your debt, dependents, or other matters that make you think it's impossible. But I am very much an optimist, where there is a will there is a way. You are responsible for your own happiness, no matter your circumstance. 

I would really love to hear your thoughts on this - I hope this hasn't come across as too preachy! There is just too much awesome stuff to experience in this world, and too many opportunities to take advantage of, and sometimes I just get really over excited at the prospect of it all. 

4 comments:

Adele Psych said...

Love this.I think exactly the same. You have to chase love in all aspects of your life I think, and that's when the universe will work in your favour- to simplify it... I could go on for hours about this topic haha. I personally never want to be a person that lives for their holidays or weekends only; but then again not everyone is lucky enough to know what that want to do in life. I'm grateful everyday for knowing what I wanted to do from an early age. xx

Kat said...

I'm glad that you can incorporate these thoughts into you blog. It is all part of the business! I am working on developing a food photography business (and a few other ventures!) I graduated college 1.5 years ago with two degrees (one professional degree!) and haven't been able to find a job...not even at a grocery store, a menial office job, or anything. It's very disheartening. But I knew that taking on any of those jobs I would not be following what I really want to do, and that's run my own thing. It sounds like we're a very similar type of girl!

{Kat@ex-scapes

thelingerielesbian.com said...

You are honestly my inspiration. I love how much you think about what you do and how you find joy in your work. Thanks so much for this blog post and so many others :)

Don Pezzano said...

It's not surprising that I am reading this, that I follow your Tumbler/ Blog and etsy site. We think alike. I wish everyone would/could follow their dreams. Life is too short to do anything else. We will never get our life back once it is gone. We can't shake people and tell them to do what they dream of- I think we have to SHOW them. Respect to you.