Monday, January 7, 2013

Hello 2013



(Detail of a painting by me)

Well as I mentioned late last year I wanted to do a little more talking to go with all the pictures - so what better place to start than with some New Year's Resolutions. These really come off the back of everything I experienced last year, from the awful to the amazing. So here goes. 

1. Make an underwire bra, and include it in the next Hopeless collection. It is ridiculous I have been putting this off for so long, I know it won't be anywhere as bad as I imagine it's going to be. But the truth is I'm a perfectionist and I'm terrified that my first bra won't be perfect. I'm also terrified of the logistics of introducing a garment to my range that includes some 35 size grades - because I cannot in good conscience offer a bra that does not go up to my size (10G). But really this was THE WHOLE REASON I STARTED A LINGERIE BRAND! And I am sick of my own excuses. So I am announcing it here, because saying it aloud on the internet will put more pressure on me than just the voices in my head - 2013 is the year Hopeless starts making under-wire bras, from an 8A to a 16G. 

2. Continue 6am wake-up and exercise. I have been doing this for a few months now, and I have to say it is one of the best changes I have ever made in my life. My body feels amazing, and even if I started with the goal of losing weight, (which hasn't happened yet, that whole muscle being heavier than fat thing), I am about 100 times more excited that I don't have back pain anymore. I am stronger and fitter, and can see the shape of my body changing. I started boxing classes about 4 weeks ago, and will be starting Muay Thai on the 15th January. For me - there is nothing better than doing a boxing class at 6am, eating a full breakfast at 7am, and being ready for work at 8am feeling like you've already conquered the world. Trust me the quality of work that happens after that, versus waking up at 8.30am and starting work in your PJ's, is incomparable. 

3. Finally to keep this short, sweet, and realistic, I would like to continue the positive mind-set that has overwhelmed the last few months of my life. The first half of 2012 was personally and business wise one of the hardest things I have ever experienced. But to be standing up at the end of it with everything intact, has given me more passion and energy than ever before. I spent most of my life being sad and pessimistic, acting like a victim and only seeing the negative side of every situation life threw at me. It is hard to pinpoint the exact moment that changed, but I am incredibly proud to have overcome so much of that negativity. For any of my readers that have ever experienced depression and anxiety - please believe me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But you have to want it, and you have to work for it. 

Gaby xo


5 comments:

Kelsey Genna said...

You've inspired me to get up at 6am to exercise! Good luck with your resolutions x

thelingerielesbian.com said...

Yay! I get up at 6:15 for exercise and it does make the whole day seem easier to tackle. I cannot wait to see what you come up with this year! Good luck :)

Vintage Hippo said...

Oh my gosh I am just so excited for you. I've gotten back into ballet after taking a semester off to focus on school, and my body is thanking me for it.
Physical energy is the best for a positive mental and creative energy. Your blog is a constant inspiration to me and I'm genuinely glad you're doing so well. <3

harbourmaster said...

HELLS YES TO EVERYTHING. Keep at it lady, you're fabulous & talented & terribly inspirational. xx

PS. Underwire not actually are scary as it seems, I promise.

Acid Dreams and Sugar Highs said...

I think I need to start getting up earlier to exercise. Might make me feel better, I'm always tired ad sick.