Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday Night Movie Night


Do they still make movies like this? I feel like they don't - or perhaps I am just too jaded to enjoy current 'popular' culture? Anyway there is an endless supply of these cheesy 80s comedies, all with an amazing pastel colour palette - that I can just never get enough of. Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn have been in so many of them, and I am so glad to have finally been able to cross this one off the list. It tells the story of a wife seeking revenge on a cheating husband, and all the characters have enough duality that you are quite emotionally involved with them all by the end of the film. By far the best thing is Meryl Streep's house - a pink mansion surrounded by a manicured English garden by the sea. With an indoor swimming pool and circular staircase. One day.....



3 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

Well this is certainly going straight on my to-watch list! I'm not sure if that make movies quite like this now - popular cinema is a very different beast but I suppose they didn't make movies like they did in the '60s in the '80s, either. It's really interesting to see how tastes change over the years (or, in some cases, don't I suppose) like thinking of how people were actually screaming in the cinema when they saw Psycho!!!
I like a lot of new movies but *tend* to find the blockbuster ones (some franchises aside) aren't often to my tastes, either.

Gaby - Hopeless Lingerie said...

Andi you would love it!!

And I agree it is very interesting to consider how popular cinema has developed - this style of cheesy comedy is just so 80s, I absolutely love them - but possibly because it is what I grew up with so I am biased....

PS Have you seen 7 Psychopaths? Its amazing!

PPS Speaking of Sam Rockwell have you seen Lawn Dogs? If so what did you think about it?!

Andi B. Goode said...

I love them, too, so I understand :D

I haven't seen 7 Psychopaths yet but I REALLY want to. Haven't seen Lawn Dogs, either. But I love Sam Rockwell so I guess I should see both!!!