Monday, September 24, 2012

The Death - Part I


When I started Hopeless just over four years ago, I never could have imagined the roller-coaster ride that has been my life since that moment. It has been both the most rewarding and the most challenging thing I have ever done, and for a large part of this year it was beginning to feel like those challenges were outweighing everything else.

At some point during those difficult months I decided that I needed to start thinking differently in order to move ahead. Without really knowing where it would take me, I immersed myself in creating a collection that was going to be different from any other one before. I blocked out every voice that said "Will it sell?", "Is it commercial enough?", "Who will wear it?", - and a bunch of other questions that I felt had been drowning me creatively for some time.

I limited my materials to only what I had in my studio, and did not spend a cent on new fabrics or notions. I watched a lot of Silent Cinema and took many visual clues from films such as Nosferatu and Metropolis, with their use of shadow and contrast providing endless inspiration. 

Visually I wanted this story to be very dark, because it was created amidst dark circumstances, but even more I wanted it to signal then end of an era, representing the end of this enormous down-swing, and signifying a new beginning. As each day passes I learn new things about myself, about the world, and Hopeless Lingerie is very much a representation of my personal journey. This story is about so much more than selling knickers, and despite how difficult this year has been I am also proud to have come out standing strong on the other side. 

I am so excited for each day, for my customers, and for every chance I get to make something new. I can't quite believe how lucky I am to be able to spend my time doing what I love. Most of all I am so grateful for all the people that buy things from my store, that read this blog, and for anyone who shares any of my work with their friends. 

The following pictures are Part I of a two part series - the latter of which I will be sharing in a couple of weeks. Big thanks to Vlad Savin who completely understood, and interpreted my vision perfectly. Make sure you have a look at his website here.

Photos: Vlad Savin
Model: Leah J @ Viviens
MUAH: Jacqueline Kalab



















9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the most beautiful underwear collection I have ever seen. I want to wear it all. xxx

Kathryn said...

i love what you wrote. x

Lola Devlin said...

oooh Gaby! Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations!

Cristina said...

I'm completely in love. The lingerie, the styling, the eerie make-up and photography... You have a unique vision and manage to convey your ideas perfectly through your pieces and imagery. Congratulations, 4 years and we're lucky to have you!

Aayla @ mypaintedbird.blogspot.com said...

This collection is amazing along with the styling for the photoshoot. Really, lovely. Congratulations!

harbourmaster said...

SUCH an incredible series of photos, the collection looks fantastic, can't wait to see the next part!! It can be so hard to step away from what you know has been what works in the past but I really think your risk has paid off, this is so strong.

oni said...

youre instincts are soo good. I think this is my favorite collection from you yet.

Adele Psych said...

Turned out amazing! Congrats! :)

craftandculture said...

so in love. reblogging :)