Sunday, September 16, 2012

Art School




Frank Stella The Marriage of Reason and Squalor, Delphine and Hippolyte, Tomlinson Court Park 1959, 1967, 1967

My visual journey over the past months has been very dark, and something that seems to persist in my mind are the black paintings of Frank Stella. These were some of his earliest works, and were very different from the Abstract Expressionist school prominent during this period. (Also a great source of inspiration.) His lines conjure up so many ideas for me, and I find myself feeling very responsive to the graphic, clean, repetition. A natural progression I suppose from Black Squares of Malevich. 

Gaby xoxo

2 comments:

harbourmaster said...

Spectacular in their restraint. I'd love a whole wall in my house painted like this.

Gaby - Hopeless Lingerie said...

All I can think of is clothes I didn't even think how good an interior or furnishings would be!