Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Project


With my minimalist leanings of late I seem to be only interested in black and white. I am sure I will move back to colour soon enough but for the moment I am happy to wallow in this dark sea. This week's project comes on the back of recently shooting a new range - all black - and so an extension of what I have been immersed in for the past couple of months. I am currently obsessed with the imagery of silent cinema, the shadows, lines, and contrast. I feel like when I look at frames from these films it is almost like those magic eye things, shapes and designs just leap out at me. Without the distraction of colour, I can interpret form. 




Harnesses and cage style lingerie is not new - and I have been very influenced by the likes of Bordelle and Zana Bayne. On one hand I wasn't sure if a foray into this type of design was original enough, or if it was too referential, but then I concluded that the bold lines are just a medium. As paint and a brush is to an artist, or clay is to a sculptor, as is elastic to a lingerie designer. Also I have experimented with this type of design since my very first collection.



So after staring at these images and sketching and sketching, what really stood out was the ribcage on this robot from Metropolis. And this is what I came up with. 





The 'Ellen' Harness is a fetish inspired accessory for wear alone or layered with other garments. it is fully adjustable for a comfortable fit, and can be made in any size. Find it in store here. 

Stills from: The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, Nosferatu, Metropolis. 

Gaby xoxo


No comments: