Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Project


Over the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of thinking and sketching around the ideas I mentioned in this post - mainly about the hard and soft contrast I am trying to embrace in my work. Today's Project post is part of a much larger project, but I wanted to share the beginnings of it here. I seem to keep coming back to the motifs of roses and flowers, along with darker ideas about death. Nothing morbid, just a fascination with the afterlife and what is 'beyond', tied into the beauty of nature. Above is a set of images by the photographer Katrin Thomas that I have loved since I first saw it in 2009.


Partly relaxation and partly just something to keep my hands busy, I have been making fabric roses out of whatever black fabric I can find at home. I have amassed quite a big pile now and this project is the first application of some of these roses. 


Even if I posted about this movie fairly recently, I couldn't have a post about death and funerals without screen shots of Heathers. Again its that balance of dark and colour, morbidity and humour. This first experiment ended up the darker side of everything, but I am really happy with how it turned out. 





The roses are hand sewn from strips of tulle, and the waistband is silk dupion. The straps are adjustable, and the band can be made to fit any measurement, just send me an email with your order. 


Gaby xoxo 

2 comments:

Elentari said...

Dear Gaby,
although I'm no "official" follower, I love stopping by and have a look at your wonderful creations!
It's so inspiring to see how and from where you get your inspiration and what you make out of it. I also love thatyou added more 'features' now, I especially like the art scool - both my parents are art historians and therefor I have always loved museums and gallerys - it's nice to see familiar pictures on the web, when you are not searching for them!
A big thank you for this fantastic and amazing blog, you really inspire me! :)

Liliana/Elentari

Gaby - Hopeless Lingerie said...

Hi Liliana (or Elentari?!) Thank you so much for taking the time to write, I really appreciate the kind words, and happy to hear you are enjoying reading it all :)

xo