Sunday, July 1, 2012

Art School


Barbara Kruger I shop therefore I am 1987

This weeks Art School post might be a little more personal that usual - mainly because this piece by Barbara Kruger so perfectly sums up my head space right now. 

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to do something creative with my life, and for the past 4 years I have been 'Living The Dream' running my own business, making my own choices and having complete creative freedom to do whatever I want to do. Recently however the challenges of running the business have been piling up, and I have been pondering some pretty big questions about my life and the path I have chosen. The biggest and hardest of these has been basically asking myself what is the point of it all... what is the point of art? What is the point of what I am doing? I have been so absorbed in the visual arts for so long and this is really the first time I have explored it so deeply. The answer to this question is never going to be straightforward, nor will it be the same for everyone. But right now I am on this journey and before I continue I need to know deep down that what I do does not just contribute to mindless consumerism and mass consumption for selfish gain. I really do want to make a positive difference, and I want my work to be worthwhile, and hopefully soon I will figure out the best way to do that. 

Gaby xoxo

2 comments:

ADELE PSYCH said...

I really like this post. It's nice to know that there a still some people left the see past the surface; and care. Not in the obvious sense either. :)

thelingerielesbian said...

I am sorry to hear you're having a bit of an existential crisis, but I am really interested in your thought process and your feelings on this issue. I'm actually having a bit of a crisis myself, but in the opposite direction, as it were. Right now I am working in PR at a job that is perfectly decent. But, what I've realized is that I really crave making things and what I really want is to bring beautiful things into the world that are mine. To me, it seems like bringing more beauty into the world is an amazing thing. The truth is, in the capitalist world that we live in, you're always working to get paid in some capacity. Not everyone can be a doctor or a social worker or whatever you consider would be more helpful or central to the world. For me, volunteering or giving money to causes that you believe in deeply but are not a career path is the way that the world can be made a better or brighter place, even if you feel hopelessly consumerist. And I won't lie, there IS joy in buying and owning something beautiful. Anyway, you've brought up a very interesting topic and I'd love to hear how your thoughts develop.