Monday, May 21, 2012

Art School


Jackson Pollock Number 31 1950

Since I began studying art history in high school, my favourite movement has always been Abstract Expressionism. The emotion inherent in these paint splatters speaks to me so loudly, and I feel such a connection with artists such as Pollock, Still and Kline. As I have been mentioning recently I am facing some pretty huge decisions, and one thing that is really grounding me is remembering my love of this period, and the power that colour, form and shape can have to help in decision making.

Do you feel an affinity with Abstract Expressionism? Or do you just see a mess?

Gaby xoxo

4 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

Yes! I definitely like abstract expressionism. I enjoy Pollock's work (saw a whole bunch of his earlier stuff at the Guggenheim, I think, back in '06? I didn't pay as much attention to art then :() a lot. I love the energy and I love that it still baffles people and people will still get angry when you tell them it's art. It's so strange that people still react that way! I really like Mark Rothko's work, too, and would LOVE to see it in person to see the subtleties you can't see in a reproduction. Sigh.
-Andi x

Gaby - Hopeless Lingerie said...

I have seen a few Rothko pieces in my time - breathtaking. And Pollock in real life too - so overwhelming!

I remember watching a John Waters doc recently - and he spoke about modern art as if it's this cool club that you aren't allowed into - I can't remember the exact wording but it was perfect summation of all those people who say 'Oh my kid could draw that!'

I'm sure its online somewhere!

Gaby xo

Andi B. Goode said...

Oh, it's not This Filthy World is it? I think he says something about it in that, anyway. I remember hearing him say that. But yes! There is definitely still that mentality about it, I think.

-Andi x

Anonymous said...

This is perfect! I have always been very interested in art, even though I know nothing about it, and really don't have anyone in my life who do, so this art school page is just perfect! Pollock hits me straight in the stomach, for some reason. I think they are fascinating and beautiful.