Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Prolific or Edited?


I am up to my ears in wholesale orders, custom orders, a new accessories range and planning the new lingerie range, and at the same time I am preparing a few extra pieces for a photo-shoot next week. A 'mini-range' of sorts. So my desk looks pretty in a very different way than it did here!

Nick always gets cross when I do these 'mini-ranges' - which I see as an opportunity for me to take advantage of a great photographer, work on my designs, and make something new. After all I think photo-shoots are probably my favourite part of what I do! But Nick sees it as me losing focus, I have a store full of things and I should spend my time promoting it and getting more orders, rather than just keeping on making new stuff. I do see his point, and worry that being prolific and constantly having new things is not as good as having a strongly edited bi-annual range. 

The problem is, I would get too bored! I actually struggle making the same thing twice, I kind of wish I could just do one-off pieces all the time. But I think that would be much harder to sustain. I think it is definitely linked to me having an incredibly short attention span too. 

How do you keep focus? Do you think its better to do as much as possible or reserve your energies and creativity for a limited outlet?

Gaby xoxo

10 comments:

Emma Highfield said...

Great post Gaby,

I think it is important to have fun and play around with new styles, sometimes when work/orders are taking over the best thing to do is to have a fun day and just create a one off design you have always wanted to try. You may not take the design any further or even sell it/produce it but its very liberating to just take a break and make something based on the intention of it not being intended for anything! :)
I find it is easy to get unmotivated when you are filling orders and making the same pair of knickers 10 times in one day, so i take a day off and create something totally unrelated to my current collection.

Your work is amazing x

Kathy St. Clair said...

Oh I hear you! And I think it's really common for creatives to cherish that first stage of developing a fresh, exciting idea - then become bored with seeing the process through to reproduction.

I think creating your mini-ranges are a great way to keep you inspired while you fill orders for current pieces. They probably bring in new interest and exposure to your current stock as well.

I have a terribly short attention span and would love to somehow strike a healthy balance between actually finishing and reproducing concise product lines but staying inspired with new projects too! I think you already do that very successfully :)

I'm lucky that a lot of my creative outlet needs are fulfilled with my graphic design clients - I have no choice but to get it all done to meet deadline! It keeps me in check! He he.

Can't wait to see your new mini-range xx

Gaby and Jane said...

Emma - You are totally right - it means so much to take that creative time! And thank you :)

Kathy - Thank you! And you have really hit the nail on the head, the excitement of the first sample and the photo-shoot is really the end, everything after that is almost a chore!!

fotoğraf çekimi said...

I think it is important to have fun and play around with new styles, sometimes when work/orders are taking over the best thing to do is to have a fun day and just create a one off design you have always wanted to try.

havuz said...

You may not take the design any further or even sell it/produce it but its very liberating to just take a break and make something based on the intention of it not being intended for anything! :)

peruk said...

I find it is easy to get unmotivated when you are filling orders and making the same pair of knickers 10 times in one day, so i take a day off and create something totally unrelated to my current collection.

fotoğrafçı said...

Oh I hear you! And I think it's really common for creatives to cherish that first stage of developing a fresh, exciting idea - then become bored with seeing the process through to reproduction.

çocuk montu said...

Emma - You are totally right - it means so much to take that creative time! And thank you :)

toptan takım elbise said...

Kathy - Thank you! And you have really hit the nail on the head, the excitement of the first sample and the photo-shoot is really the end, everything after that is almost a chore!!

maç özeti izle said...

Your work is amazing