Friday, October 29, 2010

Starting from Scratch - How to start your own clothing business - An introduction


Over the past few months I have had an idea floating around in my head to write a series of blog posts about my business, why I do what I do and how I have gotten to this stage.

There are a few reasons behind this, one is to contribute something as a tool for those at the stage I was at 2 or 3 years ago, and another is because I feel like it will help me, to remind myself about the important things, and create somewhat of a guide to come back to.

I am going to write a series over the coming months – at the moment it looks like 18 parts, but it could be more – and discuss in detail all the steps I have taken to create my business ‘Hopeless Lingerie’. I also want to discuss how I plan on continuing, and how I want my business to become successful and achieve my dreams. I am a long way from where I want to be, but I hope in sharing my journey and plans I will be helping others at the same time as helping myself and my business. I struggle to stick to a schedule but I will aim to write a part a week.

While I have been trained in garment construction and pattern-making, I do not have any formal business qualifications. Everything I write here will be what I have learned since running my own business. And while I make lingerie and accessories, a lot of what I say will be applicable to most small businesses. That said I would really love all of my readers to participate in the (hopefully) weekly topic, so we can all learn from each other. As I have already said this exercise is for own benefit as well.

So as this is the introduction to my series ‘Starting from Scratch: How to start your own clothing business’, I would love to know what you would be interested in reading about. I have a plan of topics to go through but am very open to suggestions and will try to include as much as I can.  

Gaby xoxo

14 comments:

Isa Maria- Noisette Illustration said...

Wow I want to read this right now! I love your lingerie and will hopefully be able to treat myself to some soon! I'm a small business owner just starting out selling paper goods and I love to read about how other people got started. Can't wait.

Gaby and Jane said...

Haha part of me wants to write it all now!!

But then I wouldn't leave the house for a month! Definitely best to do this in installments :)

Gaby xo

anja louise said...

I'm really interested in things like fabric sourcing... and how to know how much to buy, or how many things to make... making things to order or making specific sizes ahead of time, things like that!

Chrisy said...

How generous of you! Fab idea n look forward to reading...

rachel / Red Lips Vintage said...

Yes yes yes!!

marissa said...

I cant wait for this! Couldn't have come up at a more better time. My sister and I are just starting our small business.

The Diva's Polish said...

I definitely can't wait to read about your business. I agree with Chrisy and Marissa, so generous and will be inspirational if you are starting your own business. I'd love to start my own. Great idea and I look forward to your posts! :)

Laurie said...

i would love to hear about how you manage you time/motivation with running yourself. also if you work out of home how do you manage working there?

thanks in advance for sharing ! thats a wonderful thing to do :)

Kathleen Frances said...

Really looking forward to this:)

Treacle said...

I wonder if it might be worth collaborating with another Aussie sans formal training who's built his business from scratch. I'm thinking of James Lillis from Black Milk Clothing. I bet you two could turn our a rocking podcast. :)

Fiona said...

What a wonderful idea! I've just started my own little clothing line, currently fumbling my way through! I'd love to hear your story :)

sadie said...

I have just come accross this blog and think it is great that you are opening up about your experiences - i am at the beggining stages of starting my own label and business, and would be really interested to hear just how you lifted things off the ground - and if you make everything in house, budgets, manufactuer!!! everything please :)

lifh said...

I just came across your blog and i'm reading all te post on starting from scratch. thanks a lot for them, very helpful as I am planing to start a lingerie line in october.
I'm wit anja louise, really interested in tis like fabric sourcing, were to buy, cost etc. tanks

Tanisha said...

I am really looking forward to your insight and experiences. I too have had a fascination with lingerie and everything related to intimacy for quite some time. In the beginning stages of planning a lingerie line as well. I feel we will bring a lot to one another. Love your lingerie. I have the same specific questions as the ladies before me.......