Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mars/Volcanoes/Dirt


Another New Zealand photo. Just some random patch of dirt. There were amazing things everywhere you looked at these geothermal parks. I love how this picture looks like it could be another planet, a birds eye view, or a closeup. Pretty much anything. 

I feel like I am having a bit of an identity crisis at the moment, or even that my life is one big identity crisis. I love so many things, so many contradictory things and I get overwhelmed and stressed out like I need to make a decision. But then I have to keep telling myself its OK to like a lot of different things. Its OK to like floral silk lingerie, gory horror movies, burlesque, 60s french pop, 80s b-grade movies, nature and 80s metal all at the same time.  I get worried about how this relates to my businesses though - like after my last post with the Predator picture I lost a follower, probably nothing but I immediately thought 'oh no I hope I didn't offend someone!' But I feel like if I hid my love of gross gory horror movies then I wouldn't be honest, and if it didn't come across in the things I sew I wouldn't be honest either. 

And then there is my love for everything creative. Sometimes I wish I was an illustrator, sometimes I wish I was a photographer, a film director, a costume designer. But I think that is just a matter of the grass is always greener. 

This dream I have chosen to follow is a pretty bumpy road, and I think I am on a particularly bumpy bit at the moment. But I do know deep down its where I want to be. I just have to keep picking myself up, dusting myself off, and getting on with it.

Gaby xoxo

7 comments:

Teer Wayde said...

Never show anything but your true self honey. We love you even more for it.

Kat said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! I've been following your blog for a while - it's great, and I love the contradiction in imagery etc...

Nothing better than a paradox to keep things interesting ;)

esme and the lane way said...

Sometimes I feel like that too :) But there is nothing wrong with having lots of interests, and variation and so on; it just makes things much more interesting, and, of course, and even more importantly, unique. xxx

Bistie Lou said...

As someone who sits 9 to 6 every day at I desk, I am very envious of the path you have chosen. I go to your blog to get inspired when all i see around me are cubicles.

I love that you include horror movies in your inspiration.

Stay true to yourself!

Love your blog!

Dark Pony Designs said...

What you are doing just shows you are trying to strike a balance. Hard/soft/ High/low Romance/horror The contrast is what keeps it interesting. It can be scary-but that's what makes great art!
xoxo
Robin
www.darkponydesigns.etsy.com

Kathy St. Clair said...

Lovely Gaby, worry not. This conflict is definitely something many creatives struggle with and it only makes what you put out in to the world evermore beautiful and special. Your work and your style are magnificent, don't change a thing :)

x

Saskia said...

I feel just like you! All the time! I wish I didn't think about but I always feel lost.It feels good reading all the nice peoples comments to you.

By the way I think you seem like a really cool person just because you do your on thing and I loved the predator knickers ;)