Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Four Rooms


I have gotten in to the habit of immediately checking IMDB after I watch almost any movie to find out more about whatever I have just watched. Sometimes it really surprises me to see what other people have to say about a film, other times not surprising at all. Also, I judge films on a very different basis than many other people - for example the visual aesthetic rates very very highly for me, and things like plot, writing and character development often come secondary. That said, I had never even heard of this film so it was a great pleasure to watch and spot so many recognisable faces throughout each of the four sequences, and I thoroughly enjoyed it on so many levels. Each story is directed by a different person, and the general consensus seems to be that the film starts poorly and ends with a bang with Quentin Tarantinos contribution. I actually loved it all. Despite the first two parts perhaps somewhat lacking in certain respects when compared with the last, I loved the styling of costume and set so much I thought they were all of equal value.

The format reminded me of a film I loved when I was younger, 'New York Stories' I think it was called. Definitely on the movie list for this week. Gaby xoxo

3 comments:

NeverEverEmma said...

Ahh yes I love this film. I only saw it a few years ago and I had never heard of it before either. It was a great find :)

Vanessa Moore said...

I loved Four Rooms, I've watched it a number of times and it is hilarious!!
Visual aesthetics are sooo important to me as well, plot comes second! That said, have you seen The Cell ? What a visual master piece!! A bit hard to watch at times because of certain subjects but I have watched a million times!! The director Tarsem Singh made another movie called The Fall, looks equally stunning, but I haven't seen it yet!

Gaby and Jane said...

I remember seeing a a few minutes of The Cell half way through when some friends were watching it and being very grossed out! But it did look amazing - I think I will have to give it a proper watch!

Gaby