Wednesday, July 8, 2009

They Shoot Horses, Don't They


Ever since Alexander McQueens Spring 2004 RTW collection I have always had an eye out for this film, and finally found it at our fantastic new video shop around the corner. So many amazing and hard to find films, I can definitely see myself doing a lot more film related posts!

This film is based on a book written in the early 30s about a dance marathon - which apparently was an event that took place often during the 20s and 30s. Set during the depression, the story is about young hopefuls trying to outlast eachother in what can only be described as torturous conditions. They get a 10 minute break every hour (from what I could gather), and are fed 7 times a day - I think this is the big calling card for most of them. Not to mention the cash prize for the last couple standing. They go on like this for over a month, and as the movie goes on you just feel more and more tired. It is a very sad and draining experience, but at the same time it is a visual feast for the eyes. Annoyed McQueen thought of the idea before I could!

I read up a little bit about dance marathons after the film and discovered the record holders for the longest time dancing are Mike Ritof and Edith Boudreaux, who danced for 5,152 hours, from August 29, 1930, to April 1, 1931. Gaby xoxo

7 comments:

FeltFoodCreations said...

Really intersting, thanks Gaby.

carmel said...

Seven months of dancing! that is amazing!

Leanne Lonergan said...

Wow I couldn't do that! I will keep an eye out for the film...it looks like a good one! Thanks for sharing Gaby!

michvanetta said...

Really - 7 months? Oh my goodness!
Fab blog post Gaby :)

Gaby and Jane said...

It really is such a fantastic film - nominated for 9 oscars....

It is pretty full on though - so don't watch if it you are feeling a little down!!

Chrisy said...

oh yes when I saw this movie I had the same reaction! visually gorgeous but was exhausted from all those hours of whirling and twirling and just standin on my pins!

Ally said...

Wow that sounds like an amazing film, I'll have to check it out.