Monday, June 8, 2009

My inspiration - Stella McCartney





I have been doing some thinking about Hopeless the past couple of days, where I want the business to go, and how I want to achieve my dreams. I keep coming back to Stella McCartney, and what she as created. Her impeccable design aesthetic aside, there are so many admirable aspects to her business and vision, especially in regards to cruelty free and sustainability.

Stella has chosen the hard path, but I strongly believe it is the right one. The fashion industry is so wasteful, and there are so many things that it should be doing to discourage consumption and encourage quality and sustainability. But the focus is always on the next hot thing, whats 'in', 'out', 'over'. What is going to make the most money.

I hate that consumption is so celebrated in this world. That cheap disposable fashion is where people flock, bad quality, often bad design, synthetic fabrics, underpaid labour. I want to inspire people to think about the consequences to their choices.

I hope one day I can follow in Stella's footsteps, and make a positive contribution to the world. Through natural fabrics, quality fit and design, quality construction, fair wages and local labour. It should not be such a stretch for others to do the same.

9 comments:

Penny said...

Such lovely pictures! And you're right, it's so important to make sure what we do is as sustainable as we can make it, and as pretty too.

Leanne Lonergan said...

Gaby...I couldn't agree more! Hold the vision girl!

JouJou Loves You said...

You have got TRUE talent and there is no substitute for that...I have no doubt you will do it all!!!!

the maisies said...

sometimes i feel a bit ill looking at all the disposable fashion crammed into chain stores...

on a nicer note, those days-of-the-week undies are so so adorable!

Denise @ Swelle said...

Agreed. And hats off to you for following this approach to creating fashion, especially when it's not the easy way. I'm starting to make more informed choices when it comes to what I buy, although I've already boycotted places like Primark in the UK where there's only one way to make a T-shirt that sells for £2 at full price. (Actually I can't stand the store anyway so it's no sacrifice - I've never been attracted to crap!)

Be sure to let me know of any practices you incorporate, no matter how small, so I can promote them on my blog.

livefashionately said...

where is your label available for purchase or viewing? please let me know when it arrives, as i am just a devout consumer but i am always looking for a thoughtful aesthetic and sustainable fashion.
thanks

Gaby and Jane said...

Thanks for the comments guys :)

It boggles my mind to think how a Tshirt can be sold for 2 pounds - it would take me about 20 minutes in cutting and sewing alone, let alone fabric and overheads. It is a very scary sum to think about.

And livefashionately - you can see all my things at www.hopeless.etsy.com - and www.hopelesslydevoted.etsy.com

Gaby xoxo

michvanetta said...

I totally agree - you go girl xx

Ruthie said...

absolutely agree with you! So many of these issues are relevant to the making of jewelery, particularly the cheap sourcing of indigenous natural materials (stones beads etc.) and exploitation of artisans and natural resources ... go for it!